Thursday, December 9, 2010

Not So Fancy Decorating

 Open, to let the sun's warmth in.

This drafty room has had me looking seriously at ways of keeping the drafts down during these cold evenings.  One of my favorite bloggers, Layla at The Lettered Cottage, has used plain old painter's drop cloths from HD as curtains in her house and they look great.  It's an idea I've wanted to copy, but right now I can't afford to do it right (with nice black extra-wide rods so the curtains don't cover the window). I just wanted to see if it works, so I took a used one and clipped it roughly to a rod that came with the house so it will close over the window at night.  Not sure how much good it's going to do for drafts, but we'll find out later when it's cold again. Certainly provided The Brat with one more thing to be curious about.


Closed, to hopefully keep the cold drafts out.

I also found that some serious cold air is coming from around my front door, at the bottom corner.  I bought some of that cheap self-sticking foam tape yesterday, but it was too thick so the front door wouldn't close enough to lock.  I did use some in places and while it isn't pretty, it's helping.  Then today, once the outside temps warmed to their highest (around 45), I opened the door and did some serious caulking on all sides where there were spaces.  The door is still open to let it dry, and it almost feels balmy.  Almost.  Some foam inserts that go behind electrical outlets and switches completed my day's work of more winterizing.  Let's hope it works.  I really hate the draftiness of this room, and the cold spots.

I really should have moved a lot further south! Mexico is sounding really good again (but no, I'm not moving again).

No comments:

Post a Comment