Friday, December 17, 2010

Movie for Cyclists

One thing I love about my Netflix subscription is that all kinds of movies that I've never heard of come across their pages and somehow, attract my attention.  I have a queue of something like 38 movies on my 'instant watch' list, and every time it gets low, I manage to find a bunch more to add to it.

Tonight, I watched a movie that's been on the list for awhile: American Flyers.  Now, nobody is going to win any acting awards from this 1985 Kevin Costner blockbuster (not), but if you like cycling, bicycle racing, and/or the Colorado Rockies, you'll like this movie. 

Set around a fictional bicycle race (thinly disguised from the Coors Classic, complete with Coors Classic signs at various finish lines), there are some fabulous cycling scenes with people who are clearly real cyclists (you can't fake those quad muscles), amid the Colorado Rockies and a plot that's not all bad.  This was one of Costner's first movies where he actually had billing -- he was really young.  But, the bikes are the stars of this show.

Kind of reminds me of my own summer spent bicycling around the Colorado Rockies, except that I wasn't racing (although I did watch a segment of the Coors Classic in Estes Park one day).  On the other hand, I had a heavy touring bike and a good 50 pounds of equipment on 4 panniers and the rear rack.


My bike atop Trail Ridge Road, in Rocky Mountain National Park outside Estes Park.  This was the true beginning of my summer cycling adventure.  I'd wimped out on the road up to this point, hopped a ride on a shuttle, then started down the other side.  In the meantime, and always, the scenery was spectacular!

But, I digress.  The movie was good.  Actually kept my attention, which takes a lot when I'm sitting here watching the computer with two cats doing crazy cat things around me.  If you like cycling, and if you can find it, give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment