Saturday, June 19, 2010

Harvest


I pulled the cannellini beans from the garden last night and hung them to dry.  I don't know if the time is right or not, but it really doesn't matter.  There aren't enough of them to really save, and they were ugly and annoying in the garden.  I did open a pod up and yes, it had nice, fat white beans in it.  I suppose I could cook them fresh, rather than dried, but the idea does not appeal to me at the moment.

This day does not hold the promise of a lot of interest or excitement, unfortunately.  I have a few chores to do, and a buy-one-get-one-free coupon for perennials at HD, but that's about it.  I need other things, but even though I got paid yesterday, I don't have money to spend on non-necessities so other things will have to wait.

Tuesday, I'm planning a drive towards Atlanta to the suburb of Marietta, to get some goat's milk yogurt and kefir so I can start the anti-inflammatory diet.  A friend is thinking about going with me, and that would be nice.  I also need to get my car serviced at Jiffy Lube, and stop at a nursery that's nearby.  It's not a trip I'm likely to make often, as I try to avoid Atlanta and its traffic as much as possible.



 Anything that moves is fascinating, including the second hand on my clock.  She doesn't miss much!

The 'baby' is making herself right at home, driving me crazy at times, sweet as she can be other times.  She's just a baby, doing what kittens do, but it still drives me crazy.  But, she'll grow out of it.  I have to give her another bath today, for flea control, this time without the orange oil but with more soap on her little body.  She won't like it, but once I get the fleas off her, she can live inside, with her litter box and everything.  I'll probably still use the front porch as a playpen, however, when she's getting on my nerves too much.  Right now, she's enjoying all the wires under the desk.  That's ok, as long as she doesn't bite into one, and she's likely to do just that.

It didn't take her long to grasp the concept of 'canned food', even if it's laced with garlic.  She begs, and turns up her nose at the dried food if she can get away with it.  And she can't.  I don't budge on things like that.  If she's hungry, she'll eat the dried -- ate plenty of it with gusto before she tasted the canned.

So that's my day.  Due to be hot and sunny, not wet, for a change.  Time to spray the bermuda grass sprouts that are left after removing beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment