Sunday, May 23, 2010

On the Brighter Side

I love patty pan squash, can't wait until these get big enough to eat.  They don't have to get a lot bigger, but there needs to be more of them before I can have a proper meal.  Sure hope the production increases as the plants grow more!

I'm not sure I feel much different about the windows this morning, but I did think it was time to write about something a bit more positive.  The garden is doing really well, looking healthy, and producing young veggies and fruits that look great.  I've already harvested some of the Maribel french green beans, and a tasty lot they were.  I guess the blitz of organic supplements I added to the soil awhile back did the trick.  I still find it interesting, however, that one whole bed seems to produce better than the other whole bed.  Maybe it's just my imagination, because both should have exactly the same soil and amendments. Both grow different crops, too, aside from the nasturtiums and basil.


Two nice little Japanese eggplant are forming, with more blossoms coming.


Thus far, only one tiny yellow crookneck that doesn't seem to be growing very quickly, but again, with maturity should come more squash. Love these things, too!


These are, I believe, the yellow bell peppers.  The red plant has lots of peppers on it too, but not this big yet. So far, the serrano plants haven't bloomed, but they are growing and have buds. They probably want a little more heat than we've had.


A few little San Marzano plum tomatoes, with lots more blossoms. With two plants of these, I should have plenty to make extra tomato sauce and freeze it!


Most of the basil plants have really taken off.  I'm gonna need to make some pesto soon, even if I end up freezing it.  Where am I gonna get pine nuts in Cedartown?


All the herbs are growing well, and true to their nature, require almost no care. My kind of plant!



Lots of fat, but hard, blueberries.  I've been wondering if I should take these guys off and let the plant's energy go to growth, as I've heard.  Been meaning to call the grower and ask, but never think about it when I'm home and they're likely to be at work.

So, that's my Sunday morning.  It's due to be a hot one so I tacked a couple of nails into the header of the window-in-process and hung the shade, to keep the sun's heat from the room.  This window faces east, and whether it helps or not, I feel cooler when the shade is down in the mornings.  I'm pretty much not going to think about the window today.  She says.

I had the sweetest phone call last night.  To back up, last Saturday I attended the annual luncheon for the local DAR group, out at the country club.  Very chi chi, very much 'the ladies of the club' kind of thing.  This may be a small southern town, but it has its old families and old money like any other town.  I sought out one of the members I hadn't yet met, because we have a common ancestor.  I don't know her age, but it's in the high 80's somewhere, I believe.  She remembers my mother and my mom's older sister, said she knew them well, although they had no idea back then that they were related. She said she would call me and show me her Isbell family genealogy information.  Last night she called and asked if I'd like to go to Sunday school and church with her out at Shiloh Baptist Church, in Esom Hill, where her family and my mom's family were from.  I have to say it was tempting, just because it's Shiloh and just because I'd likely meet lots of distant relatives, but I found (I hope) an gentle way to say 'no' and while I know she didn't understand my anti-church attitude, she was very gracious and said maybe I'd change my mind.  She wanted me to go to church with her out there at least once.  I just may have to do that, as uncomfortable as it will probably make me.  We had quite a conversation, and she's a jewel.  Her husband was probably related to me, too, judging from his surname, but she said he didn't know anything about his father's family.  I'm tempted to use my genealogy skills to find a connection, and may well do that eventually.  I'm sure she'd like that, too.  Shouldn't be difficult, once I get his name.  I don't think she even knew his father's name, but old census records should help pinpoint the right family once I get his name and birth date.  She, at any rate, is a real treat.




No comments:

Post a Comment