Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Magic Time

Lately, in an effort to help myself sleep better, I've been turning off the computer at 8pm, to keep that light out of my eyes and keep the body from thinking it's time to wake up.  Of course, turning off the computer also means turning off the TV and DVD player so I'm left to seek other diversions.

I've been taking a book and a shot of brandy out to the back porch, where I read for 30 minutes or so, until it's too dark, then I close the book and watch the day come to an end.  Birdsong grows louder, from distant trees in all directions.  The cardinals 'chit' at a cat who walks too near their nesting area.  Swallows swoop and dart and chatter. 

And then, while it's still light but barely so, the fireflies appear.  First one, then another.  Utterly magical creatures that seem to change my perceptions of the world with their glow. Are these the fairies of legend?  Perhaps.  My organic guru says they are a beneficial insect, which is a great side benefit, but I'd love them regardless.  It's a wonderful way to end the day.  Fireflies and a sip of brandy.  Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment