Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Back to Real Life and the Garden

The garden survived me being gone for three days, two of which were extremely hot.  I'd watered everything really well for a couple of days before leaving, just to be sure.  Looks like I have a little eggplant forming here.

And a little bell pepper here.....


The squash seems to be faring better -- fewer yellowed leaves.


The tomatoes are beginning to bloom.....


Some of the marigolds are doing well, others not.....


Way off in the back 40, the mulberry tree is doing it's thing.....

I began the day with a trip to Ace Hardware, where I bought some incidentals and a roll of chicken wire.  Then off to Home Depot, where I bought a ladder and some wire cutters. All that led to a couple of hours work before my cousin called and wanted to buy me lunch.  Never turn down lunch with a handsome young man! A quick clean up and off we went for some Chinese buffet.


Part of the chicken wire went to cover the end of one raised bed.  A neighbor's cat had taken to digging in this area, where the garlic is planted but nothing is growing yet, and using it for a litter box, so that had to end.  No more cats digging here!  The garlic will grow through it, if it grows at all. 


More of the chicken wire went to build this round compost bin.  It's 36" high and 3-4 feet across.  I moved all the stuff from the existing compost pile into this, which was a nice bit of exercise all by itself.   Then, I finished digging the weeds from the blueberry patch, put all the sod in here, and covered with more chicken wire to keep the cats out.  I used both bags of cedar mulch to cover about half of the blueberry area, will need to get more of that for better coverage.  It does look nice and smell good. You can see a bit of it in the raised bed photo.

So, that's my day.  Had to clean the house, too, because my real estate agent is bringing an electrician over here tomorrow night to see about putting a 110 plug into the kitchen wall for installation of my gas stove.  Now, I think I'm going to rest up for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment