Monday, January 18, 2010

Boost Your Immunity the Natural Way

A few weeks ago I had an unsettling blood test showing a big drop in white blood cell count and a few other more minor abnormalities.  My ND (naturopathic doctor) who ordered the test told me to see a hematologist for more tests and interpretation.  Not surprisingly, there are none in Brookings, but I found one in Coos Bay and eventually saw her in Gold Beach. She seemed a bit annoyed that I was there, since I was planning to leave the area shortly, and told me to see someone in Georgia since there wouldn't be time to get the required tests done and interpreted, much less treated, before I left. She made a rather unsettling preliminary diagnosis, but in doing some research online I'm not so sure I agree with her.

Putting all that aside, however, I certainly need to do what I can to boost both red and white blood cell counts, platelet production, and function of such organs as the liver and kidneys.  I've always eaten with a bent towards health, and take plenty of supplements, but now I need to do more.  I've done more research online and thought I'd share some of what I've learned with all of you, since we can all benefit from a better immune system.

Exercise:  we all know exercise is important for a myriad of reasons, and I like exercise but certainly am not doing any to the extent I should, despite all my walking.  Yesterday I learned that it takes 30 minutes of aerobic exercise to sweep white blood cells back into circulation, making one's immune system run more smoothly.  I'm going to add this to my daily routine. It's easy enough -- I just need to walk faster or, better yet, spend more time on the hated treadmill.

Diet:  This is where it really counts, not surprisingly.  I found this information yesterday on the Prevention Magazine site, all supported by excellent research.  These power foods boost immunity:

Yogurt -- and not all yogurt is the same, when it comes to immunity.  All yogurt contains strains of lactobacillus, but only one US brand contains lactobacillus reuteri, which stimulates white blood cells.  That brand is Stonyfield Farms, so while I'm devoted to Eugene's own Nancy's yogurt, I'll be switching brands.

Oats and Barley:  I didn't make any notes on this one.
Garlic -- 2 raw cloves per day, plus more in cooked food.  I'd already heard lots of anecdotal information on this subject and added more garlic to my diet, both in the form of garlic oil capsules and the real thing, which I love.

Fish: shellfish and fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel.

Chicken soup:  Yes, your mother was right.  Chicken soup blocks the migration of inflammatory white blood cells. This is thought to be due to the amino acid cysteine, which is released from the chicken during cooking. Adding garlic and onion to the soup adds even more immune-boosting power.

Tea: 5 cups daily of black or green tea, which contains the amino acid L-theanine.  I'm not fond of this kind of tea, but I've added it to my diet nonetheless. Don't know if I'll manage 5 cups, but whatever I get will help.

Beef: contains zinc, which is important for the formation of white blood cells. I already take a zinc supplement, so won't up the amount of beef I eat.

Sweet potatoes:  For Vitamin A, which gives healthy skin.  Healthy skin is a big part of the immune system, as this largest body organ (yes, it is an organ) has the capability of rebuffing an attacking virus or bacteria before it has a chance to enter your body.  Other orange veggies and fruits work, too.  I already get plenty of Vitamin A through my daily cod liver oil, but as a good southern gal, I don't mind eating more sweet potatoes!

Mushrooms: These increase the production and activity of white blood cells.  Shiitake, maitake and reishi have the biggest punch and only 1/4 to 1 oz is required daily.  This is another bit of info I'd already found on-line, anecdotally, and I've added a shiitake supplement plus fresh shiitake to my diet. They're pricey, but really tasty.

In addition to all this, I've taken alcohol out of my daily diet to support the liver and allow it to do its job better.  And, I'm doing other things like using an herbal detox tea.  It'll be interesting to see how much difference all this makes in the numbers on my next blood test.  I'll let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment