Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What to do?

This retirement gig isn't as easy as I thought it would be. Sure, if I'd stayed in Eugene where all was familiar and the only thing that changed was that I didn't have to work, it would have been a piece of cake. But combine that with a move where everything is new and unfamiliar and home doesn't feel like home yet and it's another story.

This is the first day I haven't had a bunch of stuff to do and while on the surface that sounds wonderful, I'm also not quite sure what to do with myself. My mind isn't settled down enough to while away the hours by reading yet. I don't have the energy today to go out and walk or explore. Nothing new I need (or can afford) to order for the house. I can only spend so much time at this computer. Mostly, today I feel like sleeping, although my mind is a bit too restless to allow that. I think I'll walk down the block to watch the ocean. That should cure all ills and remind me why I'm here.

OK.

NOW I remember why I'm here. And I think it's time to take a short journey and spend part of a day on a beach, rather than just looking down at one. By the way -- I learned today that the island in the distance is Bird Island, which is the largest island off the coast of Oregon and is breeding ground for many sea birds, inclucing the tufted puffin. Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment