Friday, May 8, 2009

Here at last!

This is the view from my bedroom, and also from the living room, minus the deck. As soon as I have the energy (!!) I'm going to fill those holes on the railing with pots of petunias, so I can have that sweet smell wafting into the house.

Yes, as you can see it is a picture-perfect day here in Brookings! Warm and sunny and utterly delightful. Yesterday was the same. Windows open, door to the patio open, birds singing, the occasional raucous seagull. Lovely!

The move went off without incident and I have almost everything unpacked and my car filled with flattened boxes for recycling. "Almost everything" may be an overstatement, but still, there really isn't much left. Most of it will go on the bookshelves and I'm almost ready to do that. Had to figure out how to layout the room, then get the phone/internet setup. Thank goodness for the laptop! I could not possibly have put this desktop together yesterday -- too brain dead. Almost too brain dead this morning, but it's working, and so is the stereo so all is well.

I am SO glad to be here! My heart started singing yesterday when I first began following the Smith River (I cut south into California for speed purposes), and kept singing for miles and miles as the road followed that beautiful green river that has much more water than a few weeks ago. Then a few redwoods, and then a few minutes later the distant blue of the Pacific. This really is where I need to be -- if I had any doubts, they are long gone. I met a couple of men leaving the building this morning with hiking sticks and asked about beach access. There is none here, but they told me how to find a lovely overlook down at the end of the street, and that will be good enough for an evening or morning walk when I need to clear my head. Like right now!

There is still so much to do here -- and yet, the body needs to rest a bit, if I can force the mind to allow that. The kitchen is wonderful! So large, so many cabinets and so much storage space everywhere. Much, much more than the apartment in Eugene. Cabinets are fitted out with glide-out drawers and a swing-out corner shelf. But again, the dishwasher door won't open all the way unless the refrigerator door is open, so it has its quirks.

I'll post more photos of the apartment once I get the boxes cleared out. For now, adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment