Sunday, July 26, 2020

Oddities of carrying weight

I've had an interesting eye-opener the last couple of days.

Not sure I've talked about it much here, but since the first of the year I've been on a Keto diet, and have lost about 22 pounds, to date, with more left to go.  A couple of days ago I was reading some research saying that wearing weight on your body if you do a lot of sitting can help lose weight, because sitting seems somehow to tell the body that it's lightweight, or something like that.

Even when I get good exercise in the mornings, I tend to sit a lot the rest of the day -- either at this computer, mostly doing genealogy, or plopped in a comfy chair reading or watching TV. Even without the new research, I know this isn't good for the body overall, or for weight loss. But if wearing weights can actually help lose weight? I'm all for it.

Yesterday I put my two hand-weights (5# and 4#, don't ask) into a fanny pack and wore it all day, walking around the building about once an hour most of the day. Thing felt heavy as hell, and it's less than HALF the weight of the fat I used to carry around on the body every day! I was shocked.

Today, I switched to only 5#, because somehow 9# was too much. Walked an hour this morning, drove to the nearby location where I buy food and where there's also a WalMart, with some distance between them. I needed to go to both, so as usual parked at the food store and walked to/from WalMart. Amazingly, even with only 5#, it still feels heavy. Is it any wonder I walk with a lighter step these days (when I'm not wearing the weights)?

I plan to keep doing it. All in all, the body will get stronger if nothing else, and maybe it'll accelerate the weight loss. I can stay on the diet -- hasn't been a big problem for me because I've lived low-carb for much of my life. But, Keto is low, low, low carb -- I'm getting max 15 grams per day right now, and it doesn't take much to reach that. Thankfully, I can still have some Keto chocolate chip cookies that I make, and 5oz of wine if I want it. Mostly, I prefer to use those wine carbs on other things, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment