Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Another new toy -- but oh, so useful

Hey, y'all,

Still alive and well enough here, hope you are the same. Weather warming up -- into the 90s yesterday, a little cooler today and for a few more. Hasn't been a problem for me, though. I like warm weather. That day back in Cedartown when it reached 113 in the shade of my back porch was a bit much, but this, I can handle.

A few weeks ago I bit the bullet and bought another new toy -- a really nice Cuisinart convection/rotisserie/toaster oven. Did a lot of research before deciding that this was the one, but I've loved it from the first time I used it, and I use it at least once a day, often several times a day.



Today, I finally got up the nerve to try doing a whole chicken on the rotisserie, which is really why I wanted it in the first place. It took me this long because I was a little afraid of it initially, when it comes to cooking meats. I wasn't sure how much smoke would be produced from the inevitable spatter, or if it would set off my sensitive smoke alarm.  Turns out, there's very little smoke, and if it didn't happen today with fat spattering and dripping at 450-500 degree temps, I think it's not going to happen.



Previous attempts with meat have been great, though a couple of them were foil-covered. As I said, I had to work up to using the rotisserie, but now I'm really glad I did. For one thing, it's just a small space that needs wiping out afterward, instead of a big oven. Secondly, that little chicken was juicy and tender just like commercial rotisserie chickens and very unlike oven-roasted chickens. I gobbled up a large portion of it, felt like I could eat the entire thing!


Still on the spit, too hot to remove just yet. Clearly, I still have a lot to learn about how to hog-tie one of these things properly (aka trussing), but this got the job done, even though it wouldn't pass any professional judgment. Those damned birds are slippery as hell, even dried off beforehand. The oven comes with a doohicky that lifts the spit out of its mechanism. It feels a bit perilous, but so far, it's worked fine. This is one time when it would be nice to have another person around -- one to hold a plate, and the other to use both hands to lift the spit out. But, I made it without much dripping on the floor.

So that's my story for today. Kinda lazy, aside from doing this. See you next time. Stay safe and well.

No comments:

Post a Comment