Wednesday, April 26, 2017

New toys and record rains

Before I explain the photo, I have proof that my whining about rain this year has not been unfounded. Local TV station today tweeted out that since the rainy season began on October 1st, we've had 143 days where some rain was recorded. The previous record was 138 days, set in the 1920-1921 season! And it's still raining.

So there. I feel vindicated.

About the photo -- what I'm going to say is going to sound really weird. It sounds weird to me, but it's true.

I've needed a larger skillet (only a medium size cast iron one that wasn't good for all uses), and really wanted a good triple- or five-ply stainless. Only problem there was cost, of course. Sometime back in March, I think it was, this little jewel popped up on my favorite shopping site (Woot!) for $30. Triple-ply. Cuisinart. 12 inches. I felt a warm rush and ordered it immediately, because things come up there generally in limited quantities and if you snooze, you can lose.

When it arrived, I really thought it was much larger than 12 inches -- it's huge! But I measured it and yep, just a fraction over 12 inches. And heavy. I've used it for all kinds of things, and it never disappoints. I absolutely love this thing. 

If you know me, you know I have a soft spot for nice kitchen goodies -- including a few pieces of pricey Le Creuset which has previously been the stuff that made my heart twitter. But with all my moves I'd winnowed down to only the one skillet, plus my previous larger skillets were commercial aluminum, and like a lot of people, I'd opted against cooking with aluminum. Back to just one skillet. Limiting. With all the nice goodies I have or have had, this one is absolutely the best, far and away and I can't tell you how much I enjoy using it.  The insane pleasure I get from using it.

I used it today for the first time in almost 3 weeks (I've been sick!), and once again I got a warm rush of joy the entire time I was using it. I love it, love it, love it. For an inanimate object, it has a strange way of making me want to live just so I can keep using it. Not that I'm planning on checking out anytime soon, but an illness will make you start having thoughts like that, at this age.

So there -- weird. Unapologetically.  I think that's a word.

Finally went to the doc this morning -- after the worst of it has passed and I'm feeling better, of course. No word yet, just a raft of bloodwork and three different stool tests unlike any I've ever seen before. Something should show up for all of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment