Friday, April 28, 2017

Fruit kimchi

Since the kimchi is doing my body so much good, and since I'm almost out of it, I started a new batch today.

While I was at it, I decided to try something new from the bible: Wild Fermentation by Sandor Katz. This is a fruit kimchi. Half veggies, half fruit (pineapple and strawberry in this case).

It still has all the spiciness of regular kimchi -- lots of garlic, ginger, hot pepper flakes. It's also meant to be eaten young, rather than aged, while the sweetness of the fruit is still strong. Should be an interesting combination. After 3 days, I'll let you know.

Won't have much probiotic development after just 3 days, but that's ok. I'll let the main batch ferment for 3 weeks, so that all the good lactobacillus bacteria have a chance to develop. This was just an interesting experiment, a branching out, if you will. Trying new things.

Clearly, the old batch that's almost gone has done me a world of good. I feel better every day. Almost back to normal today, though I discovered yesterday that the body still isn't ready for the gym just yet. And that's ok. Still no word from the doc about what he found in my gut, but he did say that if they found anything bad they'd let me know, so if I didn't hear anything I could just assume it was a virus or something that the kimchi is already taking care of. I'm going to go with that.

All hail the power of probiotics, people! Never doubt it. Last week I thought I was going to end up in the hospital, but a little aged kimchi started taking care of the issue within a couple of hours. Went in there and gobbled up a lot of those bad bugs, whatever they were. That's what probiotics are for, and they do their job well. But you do have to eat them, not just look at them in the fridge.

We have at least 10 days of mostly sunshine in our future, so I removed the white netting from my garden bed today and cleaned the bed up a bit. So nice! I've been eating radishes, lettuce and parsley, and there should be enough swiss chard for a meal soon. I found some blossoms on the peas. The carrots are growing, if slowly.


No comments:

Post a Comment