Thursday, February 18, 2016

Scale wars

This old weight-loss battle continues, and I must say it's been more of a battle lately than in the past. Why? Good question. I'm having troubles staying within the new lower calorie total I'm allowed (determined by my current weight), although I'm always very close to it. But beyond that, I think it's just that the remaining fat has been there for a very long time and the body is reluctant to let it go. I've always heard the maxim about weight: last on, first off.
And that, of course, also translates to first on, last off. The longer the fat has been there, the harder it is to get rid of.

My scale has been flashing lower numbers all week, before deciding on one that's more familiar. Sometimes, however, like this morning, a nice lower number stays there. Of course, it's been going right back up the next day, so there hasn't been a lot of real downward movement. Some, thank goodness, but not as much as I'd like for 6-7 weeks of effort. I guess the good news is that I've seen this happen before during the last year, and eventually the lower number will become the norm, paving the way for still lower numbers.

Right now, with today's number, I'm getting into territory I haven't seen consistently for many years. I go back to 2004 with these numbers, although I got really serious about working out at a private health club in Corvallis that year, followed by more once I moved to Eugene, so I was more in the desirable weight category for close to 4 years. But by late 2008 it started up again and when I moved to Brookings in April of 2009 it got completely out of control, even though I was walking and hiking a lot on a daily basis. So -- all this to say that progress is happening. I hope that once I break into that old fat successfully it'll start to go away more quickly.

I am sure ready to go to some kind of maintenance calorie count, so I hope it goes away really fast! I want this to be over with, but I refuse to give up until I'm where I want to be (I don't really know where I want to be, but I'll know it when I see it).


No comments:

Post a Comment