Friday, January 1, 2016

Happy New Year!!


Wishing peace and happiness to all for 2016 and beyond. A stretch, I know, but I can wish for it anyway. And I do.

Cold morning here in Eugene as expected for my first day sans-gym. The habit is so strong, and I look forward to it so much -- but alas, 'tis no more for me. My membership was thanks to Silver Sneakers, a Medicare supported program that some supplemental insurance companies take part in. I changed my insurance company and had to lose Silver Sneakers. The new company has affiliation with a local gym with several locations, but none of those locations are particularly convenient here. Twenty or more minutes drive to the closest locations, and I'm not really all that willing to do that 3x week.

So -- the plan is to walk outside, in this area that is so conducive to that. Lots of walking/running paths on level ground, plenty of paved areas with hills, plus the trails going up the hill through the forest. Better than a treadmill any day. But -- I knew I'd have to practically push myself out the front door on days like this when it's either below freezing or wet, and this time of year it's likely to be one or the other.

I have a couple of lightweight thermal tops, have ordered a couple of heavy weight tops, plus I have plenty of good outdoor clothing for cold/wet weather use. That's not the issue. I don't have gloves, but there are pockets. I don't have a hat, but someplace I have a thermal head band that protects the ears. And I know, from all my years of hiking in hot weather or snow, that really warm clothing isn't needed after the first 10 minutes. The body warms up, extra clothes tend to come off. Oddly enough, the biggest issue around clothes is what combination to wear to be warm enough, not too warm, and no clothes to take off and carry. I'll learn, with a couple of walks.

The issue is that I just don't really want to go out there. I need to do it, and I want the exercise, I want to move the body because it feels good. I just don't look forward to the sub-freezing temps. Will I do it? I don't know. Probably. I know that the hardest part is getting out the front door. After that, it'll be fine. I need a good shove!

Later: I made it! The only way I could force myself out the door was to do a shorter trip -- less than the 45 mins I normally do on the treadmill, and less than walks I generally take in the 'hood. Ended up being about 35 mins, which for purely psychological reasons was much better than 45!  I also refused to walk trails this morning, for some reason. It was cold out there -- under 30f -- heavy frost everywhere down on the flatlands.  My route took 35 mins, went over one mid-sized hill and of course, finished with a hill no treadmill could duplicate, the hill that takes me back home, one that is unavoidable or I'd probably never do it. All is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment