Saturday, April 6, 2013

Spring!




There's no more happy sign of spring to me than California poppies blooming in my back yard! First two, out today. I was being lazy, so the camera shadow shows. Sorry! But it's beautiful, anyway. These things are free to grow at will anywhere in my yard -- even the planting beds.





The blueberries are chock full of spring blossoms as well. Hope I'm around to harvest at least some of these babies when they mature.


The bees, ladybugs and other insects are having a fine time with all this rosemary, blossoming in a riot of blue. I'm glad to see honeybees out there in good number. My yard -- between the rosemary and 1/4 acre of various blossoming weeds, must be a real haven for them at the moment. There was more, but I cut a big pile of it out last week because it was infringing too much into the blueberry frame, which will need to be covered with netting soon.



In other news -- it seems to me I wrote something not long ago about spending energy to gain energy. If I didn't write about it, I certainly thought about it, and put it into practice by deliberately spending more time on my feet every day and thus less time on my seat. In the last couple of days, I've noticed that I don't even want to sit as much. If I can't find anything in particular to do standing up, I'll write on the computer that way (not at the moment, however), or just get up and walk around the room for awhile. This is a good thing. Wonder if it could have anything to do with all the magnesium I've been taking? That's supposed to be calming, no?

Another good thing -- when I had blood work done last fall my cholesterol was at a level that my doc didn't  like, and the triglycerides were at a level I didn't like, although my HDL:triglyceride ratio was still good. Being a doc, he naturally wanted me to go on statins. Being me, I said no way.  I opted to do it with diet and exercise, and taking red yeast rice. Had more blood work last week -- and everything is down to respectable levels. No statins involved, thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment