Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Little Progress

Here it is near noon on Saturday and I've managed to run my errands (including buying a new ceiling fan for this room) and put the first coat of primer on the raw window areas.  Pretty sloppy job, but once this coat dries I'll follow up with some caulk (the white paint really shows areas that need it) and some filler here and there, before putting the second coat on.  Gotta start somewhere!  Then I hit the garden.


The result of two hours work, prepping for sowing the cover crop that'll go in this area.  It wouldn't have been so difficult except that I'd let the edges go all summer (not enough time and energy!) and tendrils of Bermuda grass had grown over the plastic, and holes in the plastic caused by James' weedeater had let light through and the invasive pest of a plant  had taken hold, although not as strongly as before.


All the edges were like this, and some still are.  It's a pretty good-sized space.  I had to cut the grass with scissors (who can afford tools!), then once the plastic was gone, use my hand fork to get any stray runners up and out of the way.  There was, however, a very large, very satisfying amount of DEAD Bermuda grass underneath that plastic. 


This was after the first hour.  Getting the plastic up between the beds was easy enough -- little or no runners or anything green in that area.  I did have to rough up the dead grass and get it out, but that was easy enough.  I should be able to finish this back portion tomorrow, get it seeded.  I haven't figured out yet what to do about the area around the bed that's producing greens, since I'll need to walk all around that for quite awhile.  Some paver steps would be nice, but like everything else, it comes down to money, or lack thereof.  Still, it was a satisfying day's work and now I feel no guilt whatsoever about doing no more the rest of this day.


It was cold out this last night and this morning and will be again tonight.  Sure wish I had that heater ready to use!  The house starts to warm up when the sun comes out, and I was a bit too warm out in the sun doing my garden work in sweat pants, but I love that sunshine and make no complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment