Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Quiet Day with Dim Sum

Yesterday about all I did was relax, other than walking down the hill in the morning for coffee and internet service, and going to lunch with my friends Dave (birthday boy) and Karen. I had requested something I love but haven't had for countless years, which is the Chinese treat, Dim Sum. I think this loosely translates to something like dumplings, but they are basically a countless array of small dishes that you choose from roving carts, rather than a menu, and only served at lunch. When I worked with Dave at the ad agency all those years ago, this was something we did often, in large groups. Because of the nature of the service, it's hard for one person to do dim sum and get any variety. Three is a perfect number because most come with three pieces to an order.

As you can see, it is a fairly large restaurant, though smaller than the one we used to frequent. We were seated at a large round table with five Chinese. When Dave, who is an extraordinary Chinese cook and connoisseur, was telling a server what we wanted from her cart in Chinese, our table mates spoke up and complimented him on his Chinese. We hastened to assure them that he doesn't speak Chinese, merely Chinese food. Nonetheless, we were quickly accepted and when we left, they said goodbye in Chinese. At least, we assume that's what they were saying. Friendly people!

Aside from the noodles, which were served on a plate, the dishes are served in steamer baskets, 3 per basket, as in the upper right. These appear to be plastic, perhaps, but in the old days, they were bamboo. The noodles, lower right, were superb. Well, it was all superb. Once upon a time I could perhaps have told you what most of them were. As it is, the only name I know for sure is the white fluffy bun in the upper right and lower left photos. That is a Cha-Shiu Bow, a steamed pork bun that is mostly bun and a small amount of barbecue pork inside. One of my favorites. Aside from this one, the rest were shrimp and vegetable filled and each tasted quite different. Some steamed, some fried, all wonderful. I would have eaten more, but I was stuffed! And no, I was not hungry again an hour later!

Afterwards, I waddled back up the hill and didn't do much other than go out to a little park on the Vallejo steps and sit in the sunshine and read.

This is my last day here -- I can't waste another! I have vague plans of going to Dave and Karen's office, as his secretary wants to meet me. Then there is an Avedon exhibit at the MOMA, and from a poster I saw this morning, also a Georgia O'Keefe and Ansel Adams exhibit. The Avedon alone was drawing me -- don't know if I can resist all three. The MOMA is not too far from Dave and Karen's office, but it's a lot of walking. No hills, however, other than going home. There's also Chinatown and the financial district to visit, the farmer's market at the Ferry Building, and of course downtown. I can't do it all -- will walk back home after this and see where the day takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment