Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Food and Other Obsessions

Yesterday I proved -- and fed -- more than one of my obsessions.

It's no secret that I've been a bit frustrated with certain lackings here in Brookings. I'm not a shopper, so I don't need malls or big box stores or much of anything else. I do need good food and on occasion, a good movie that I don't have to wait six months to hit Netflix.

A little research showed that the movie was available in either Grants Pass, OR or Eureka, CA. I knew there was at least one food store that carried natural meats in the Eureka area plus I'd rather drive to Eureka than Grants Pass. There are all those redwoods plus that big old ocean off to the side.

Sunday night, I decided that Monday was the day. I left here around 8am and admit that the 2.25 hour drive was less than fun -- too much traffic, too many delays for road work, too many snail-like RVs on the road. But hey -- once I reached Eureka I found both the theater and Pier One, which were my first two goals. I also found a big Natural Foods supermarket across the street from the theater and since I had time, I went in to check it out. Fabulous meat/seafood counter -- and that's what I was there for.

At noon I settled into my seat to watch 'Julie & Julia', and I have to say, that movie was worth every mile of the drive. It was warm, funny, touching -- I can't remember when I was so engrossed in a movie. Any movie. I laughed out loud more than once, and that's a rarity for me. I could have stayed and watched it again, but I had places to go.

With my Google map in hand I headed for a store in Arcata, a bit north of Eureka, that I'd heard advertised on the radio. I found it without too many wrong turns and went in filled with anticipation. Sadly, the meat/seafood counter was about half the size of the one in Eureka, and didn't have the same selection of natural meats. They particularly didn't have a cut I wanted in the natural beef. Seems they only carry select cuts -- steaks and roasts, mostly. Great stuff, but too pricey for my needs at the moment. Their whole natural chicken cost more, too. With a big sigh, I hopped back in the car and drove back to Eureka. I did say I was obsessed.

But, I got what I wanted. Some beef, some lamb, some chicken, all destined for the freezer and all destined for particular dishes I want to try.

And speaking of obsessions -- it's no secret that I have an obsession with food and cooking. It's a lifelong thing. For the umpteenth time in my life, I had a 'revelation' Sunday that I really need to be doing something with this passion. I keep looking for a direction, a purpose, some passion I can follow in this third stage of my life and I keep coming up empty-handed. Until I get into food and cooking. The question is, what do I do with it?

The movie couldn't have come at a better time. Nor could all that wonderful natural food in Eureka. Unfortunately, I still haven't figured out what to do with it, but hope that will come in time. Any ideas? I suppose writing would be a good part of it, but how? A blog would be great, but what kind of premise has something to offer? Something that I could do at the weekly Saturday Market would be great, but what? Aside from jams/jellies and other preserved food, a professional kitchen is required to sell cooked food to the public. Not sure what I'd want to cook anyway.

Wheels are turning nonetheless. Let's see where they lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment