Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Archer

My horoscope this morning read "You must avoid making rash decisions. The pressure may be on to move one way or another and, if you choose not to do anything, you will probably find you've missed out." Now, I'm not one to get overly serious about horoscopes, in fact I rarely even look at them. Not sure why I looked this morning, but the message was clear.

For weeks now I've been hemming and hawing about a little cottage for sale in my hometown of Cedartown, Georgia. It's lovely. It feels like home. I want it. I even made an offer on it about three weeks ago but it was new on the market and the owner wasn't interested in negotiating, so I decided to wait and see if he'd feel differently after a few more weeks passed. I'd show you a photo, but I don't want to jinx anything. In the meantime, I've been fraught with indecision, wanting the house but trying to act rationally rather than emotionally, and in the process I've been looking for every tiny flaw and every possible reason not to buy this lovely cottage. Clearly, it's a scary thought to me on some level.

Back to the horoscope -- I know I'm not making a rash decision. I've thought of little else for weeks now and I feel that I've covered every possible positive and negative point that exists about this house. It was the last sentence that got my attention. I've been choosing to do nothing, waiting for some kind of sign that this was the right thing for me to do. Silly me -- the 'go' sign in my gut has been there all along. It's the mind that's been doing all the arguing. The question is, will I miss out through choosing to wait?

This morning, I emailed my real estate agent in Georgia, asked him to check and see if this house is under contract yet. If it's still available, I will make another offer next week and I'll make one the owner should be more willing to hear.

If it's been sold, I won't have lost it through inaction. It simply was not the right place for me and another, better place will present itself soon enough.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment