Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Yes We Did!

I don't have words to adequately describe what this day means to me, so 'hope' will have to do -- however inadequately.

As a child of the deep south who grew up with separate water fountains, stores, schools, and everything else that could separate whites and blacks, I really didn't think I'd see this day in my lifetime.

I couldn't be happier. Somehow, and thankfully, I never bought into that racism and when this brilliant, visionary young man entered the national political scene a few years ago I heard his message. When he formally ran for president, he again spoke to me and for me and my being simply vibrated with a sense that he is exactly what this country needs at this particular moment.

I'm tired of divisiveness in our government. We are not red states or blue states, we are The United States of America and we need to pull together as one country, not two. There should be no hatred simply because one person holds beliefs that differ from ours. There should be no labels that define who is a 'real American'. We are all real Americans, and while we may all have different priorities and see different paths that might be followed, we all love this country and in the end, we all want the same things: peace, prosperity, happiness and safety. We want our kids to inherit a better world than we did. These are universal needs and desires and they apply to each and every one of us, regardless of how we may have voted in this election.

I am proud of every small effort I made over the last two years to help us reach this day with this man. My hope is that we let go of anger and divisiveness long enough to give him a chance to be the president I deeply believe he can be.

But remember -- he can't do it alone. Government can't do it alone. Your country needs you. Serve your country. Help your neighbors. Build your community. Support American jobs and industry by spending your money on American-made products. Stop complaining, stop hating, and become part of the solution.

Yes We Did, and Yes We Can!

No comments:

Post a Comment