Sunday, January 4, 2009

Principles versus Economy

As I look to retirement on a very low budget I find myself torn between my budget and my needs to be a good steward of this earth we live upon and our nation as a whole. For years now I've lived as sustainably as possible and tried very hard to limit my purchases to things made in the USA.

I avoid plastics and non-natural materials, particularly products produced from petrochemicals. I try to buy organic -- food, linens, clothing, whatever I can find -- not so much because I think it's going to extend my life that much longer, but because chemicals in our soils and our homes are not good for the earth, the flora and fauna, the air, our pets, our children or ourselves. It takes effort and it costs more and I already miss my $5/dozen farmer's market eggs. They really do taste better than the supermarket variety.

I try to buy USA-made products because I feel we need to support industry in this country over industry in other countries, keep our dollars here. It's not easy. Finding products made in the USA takes a lot of effort and when you find what you want, it costs more, generally. To take that even further, I try to buy locally whenever possible in order to support my community and the small merchants who wage war with the WalMarts of the world.

I've been happy to spend the extra money. No complaints there. But now that my income is going to be cut by about 2/3, I can't afford to be quite so generous and I'm having a hard time making that transition. I've already cut out those farmer's market eggs and organic milk. When I ran out of Bio-Kleen laundry detergent, I bought Tide again (fragrance and dye free, thank you). I'm back to Cascade instead of Seventh Generation dishwasher detergent. I'm resigned to change, but I still resist total change; disregard for the environment and buying WalMart really go against the core of who I am. How do I balance my principles versus my budget?

Just yesterday I walked over to a couple of my favorite stores looking specifically for a small cast iron skillet the right size for baking a half recipe of cornbread. I didn't have much luck with that, but I found other things: bamboo desk accessories and kitchen items, locally-made spice shelves crafted of solid Oregon hardwood, beautiful hemp area rugs, a microfiber dust/wet mop with washable heads (essential in a house with wood floors throughout!), and plenty of other earth-friendly stuff I'd love to buy for my new home. Problem is, all these things cost more than their more plebian counterparts. I can get metal desk accessories for a lot less at Office Depot, cheaper spice racks from China made of who knows what, synthetic area rugs and disposable dust mops. Somewhere in there I must find a balance, because I simply can't accept such an enormous change in my principles. I can live with the metal/wire desk accessories, but I have a feeling the other items will make their way to Georgia with me.

I have the same issues with buying larger items for my new home. I'll need to buy a new refrigerator, washer and dryer (I'll dry outside when weather permits) and I'd love to buy Energy Star models but I just can't seem to justify the extra cost based on the limited budget I have to spend. Maybe I'll find them on sale when I get to Georgia -- I can hope. I also want a big, L- or U-shaped desk for my genealogy research. I could put a few boards over some metal file cabinets, but that doesn't satisfy my need to have a certain amount of beauty mixed with practicality. Staples has inexpensive modular systems, undoubtedly made from particle board and certainly not made in the USA. I will look for a local craftsman who can build something from local hardwoods or recycled wood, but it's unlikely that will be within my budget. At the moment, that leaves me with IKEA, which has solid wood tops and metal legs that I can mix and match to suit my needs at a reasonable price -- but of course, not made in the USA.

Balance is the answer, but I struggle to find a balance that fits both my principles and my budget. One thing I do know is that I won't go down without a fight. I'll take the time to research every last item and only then will I make a choice -- one that fits both needs to the extent possible. My home will be as earth-friendly, green and healthy as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment