Thursday, December 24, 2015

Say Cheese, please

Another beautiful webcam shot from Mt. Rainier National Park. Now, most of the time these views are fairly mundane. Sometimes, they are spectacular.

Clearly, no shortage of snow up there this year, and here in Oregon, Crater Lake also has lots of snow. After a few drought years, this is very welcome.

Is it snowing where you are this Christmas Eve? This morning's weather page actually showed some snow here today, but it won't be much if it actually happens. It'll be interesting to see how much, if any, we get up here on this hill above the city. I don't think I'll like being snowed in up here if that should happen.

It's going to be a long weekend for me, with my roommate here all four days, sleeping most of the days and up most of the nights. I always feel constricted at these times, not wanting to make noise during the day when she's sleeping, oddly uncomfortable with her being up during the night. Those are my issues, of course, not hers, but constricting nevertheless. I have a feeling I'm going to want to get away from here by Saturday, so I hope not to see a white Christmas. I have no idea where I'll go, I just know I'll want to be away from here for awhile.

My sauerkraut seems to be coming along quite nicely. Beginning to smell more like sauerkraut, but still tasting like cabbage. It's only been a week -- give it time! The good news is that there are no signs of mold or a film on the surface of the brine. A local community center run by the city had some urban homesteading classes last fall and I wanted to go to the one on fermenting foods, making kraut, but didn't have the $18 for the fee. Last night, I checked their website and found that they're doing it again this winter and again in spring, so I'm going to try to get into some of them. May not need the kraut class -- just had my own, right here! -- but there is one on sourdough bread making (I've done this before, but not always successfully, so a class might be useful), and one I really want to take on cheeses. That's something I really want to tackle, and while I have plenty of good directions available, this is something that I think would be better with hands-on demonstration and somebody to answer questions. I'll probably take this one in mid-February, let the others slide until spring, if at all.

So that's my Christmas Eve, and it won't get more exciting but I'm really good with that. This is not my holiday, so I have no urge to celebrate it. My thoughts are with family and friends in the path of the tornadoes in the south. I am SO glad I moved out of tornado country! I'll take rain any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment