Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Better Day


When you look at this it's easy to believe spring really has sprung.  And with the sun shining most of the time today and the air warming up, life is good.  This is one of my blueberry plants -- the largest and seemingly earliest one.  All three are budding, the others show some leafing out, but this one seems more ready to burst.


The spinach has perked up, too.  Survived the cold and rain quite nicely, probably even enjoyed both.  No large harvest in the offing here,  but there should at least be some satisfaction involved.


See how stunted the seedlings are?  Basil in the foreground, peppers and parsley towards the rear.


Lavender, sitting on the front porch awaiting planting outside. Not sure where this one's going, yet.


The eggplant and peppers recovered nicely from their fainting spells yesterday.


Remember this guy?  The little redwood I harvested in California that traveled across country with me? When I left Brookings he was sporting a couple of tiny roots, in his water habitat.  For the journey I put him back in the bag of forest humus, as above, and I think that set him back a bit, but never fear.


Having been back in water since I've been here, he's now sporting several (at least 3) tiny roots about 1/2 inch long, so I thought it was time he went outside where the cool, moist air is probably much more to his liking, and back into his native forest humus.


I guess what brought this decision was partly the roots,  but equally the two tiny green buds that are sprouting along it's stalk (trunk?).  I take that to mean that he's happy, despite having lost a couple of lower branches.  Perhaps I should have left well enough alone, but redwoods prefer cool, fresh, moist air and while the summer won't be cool, the pantry isn't going to be cool for much longer and it's anything but moist.  He's on my back porch where he'll get a bit of morning light, then have shade the rest of the day. Sufficient humidity won't  be a problem here!

I have a small case of 'the shoulds'.  I 'should' go out this afternoon and do something -- some digging, perhaps finish up the work I began on Saturday, or start laying out the herb garden or the monarch garden, but I'm feeling pretty darned lazy, not all that sure I want to do any of it.  We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment