Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Dang it!

I think the crabs are trying to tell me something. I've been down to the port a couple of times recently and watched all the people crabbing, some successfully, so today I worked up the nerve to go down there myself, crab gear in hand. Working up nerve is necessary because I don't enjoy looking like a fool in front of people, and while I'm learning this new 'skill', I pretty much look like a fool. But -- off I went.

First, I had to buy more line and tie the two together, because this big dock is rather high and you have to toss the trap way out. The little dock I've been to before is right on the water, so takes less. I expect I'll be going back to that one.

There are rocks off this big dock and I know you have to be careful when pulling the trap in, so it doesn't get caught. That's the beauty, supposedly, of the little butterfly trap over a bigger, heavier one. The first couple of tosses, it came in just fine -- sans crabs. I don't think they liked my bait. The third toss I didn't get it out as far as previously, and was a little concerned about that, but left it awhile.

Yep, when I tried to pull it up, it was caught on rocks or other lost traps or something. One of the guys down there tried to wrestle it up, but the knot that held the line to the trap didn't hold under that much pressure (although my splicing knot did!). All I have left is 100' of line.

I was already thinking of trying a crab ring, which is bigger and a bit heavier but much easier to bait with whole fish carcasses. Yesterday, I watched a guy down there pull up a couple of those and felt envy. He also had two keepers. Now, I would never be able to toss one of those rings far enough at this dock, but I can go back to my lonely, but easy-to-use dock, or even the big commercial fishing dock, and not have the rock problem. This big dock is too crowded for me anyway.

Either way, don't think I'll do it yet. The guy who tried to free it from the rocks said he'd gotten a keeper a few days ago and there was no meat in it -- they are either just over molting season or just going into it, so they are not very meaty. I've heard both versions, haven't a clue which is correct. Point is, it'll be better in a couple of months, so I'll try then.

If and when I do actually catch a keeper, it's going to one darned expensive crab!

No comments:

Post a Comment