Sunday, February 22, 2009

Next Step -- Buying a Car

Okay, so it won't be one of these. I did drive that puppy from Reno to Denver way back in another lifetime, however. Took the photo atop Loveland Pass.

On to reality. I swear, this may be harder than buying a house on a small budget. I have, however been doing plenty of internet research and have narrowed it down to a few: Kia Rio; Toyota Corolla; Ford Focus; and an unaffordable Honda Civic. Also looking at a new Chevy Aveo because a local dealer has some for sale at almost giveaway prices, brand new. I've driven a rented Kia Rio a couple of times, think I rented an Aveo once, too. They all run together in me noggin.

I based my criteria on ranking (starting with a recent US News & World Report article on the best affordable cars of 2009), fuel economy and reliability. If none of those things met my criteria, I skipped over the car. Both the Kia and Toyota are ranked 13, and both have good long-term ratings over the years, for cars that I would buy used. The Aveo ranks pretty low, but that's mostly on stuff that doesn't matter to me like styling and performance. Been there, done that (see above). This older Kitty now wants practicality. For all these reasons, the Toyota is probably my personal #1 choice.

Next -- find one I have the guts to buy. I can't afford to buy a lemon, or have it fall apart on me halfway to Georgia. I think that whatever I buy will need to be evaluated for me by an outside mechanic, to make me feel better.

Alas -- will this ever be over? Yes. Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment